Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Confessions of a 'granma'...

So, at 9pm I thought, right, I am going to bed...now, 2 hours later, here I am! I'm not asleep though as I thought I really should write something first. Trying to type quietly as the little fella is dropping off to sleepland beside me in his moses basket...

Anyhow, once again I had a great blog in my head, albeit fleetingly. All I can remember is that I was thinking of my mother. I miss her. I think I'll call her tomorrow. She used to drive me insane, but over the years we have both mellowed and well, I moved to the other side of the world. I hope my daughter doesn't decide that's her only option when she's older. But hey, from what I hear, we're doomed to repeat ourselves over and over so I expect that she will. I have learned some lessons though so perhaps she'll visit more often!

Aaaah, my mother. When I told her my surprise (pregnant with EK, her first grandchild) she said "Oh. I'm too old to be a grandmother." At 72, I guess I can understand, but hey, it's not my fault she only had me at age 37!! She then proceeded to ask me why I waited so long (even though I was younger than she was). Then once again pregnant with Ally boy, the first grandson, she said "You've already got one, why do you want another?". I've decided to interpret that as she loved me so much she couldn't imagine having another and being able to share the love, though I really know that she was in labour for so long that she couldn't imagine going through the pain again (only because she reminds me of this now and again, 38 years later!). She doesn't mince words my mother. I guess that's where I get it from, though I do try to temper it a little as most people really don't want that much honesty. You gotta love her for it though - it's who she is and she isn't really trying to be anything else. Having said that, a little more excitement would have gone down quite nicely at the time.





The only notable thing today is that I have fallen in lust for a Nikon D90. I NEEEEED a new camera as our canon brick is really not managing to capture all those wonky smiles Ally keeps giving me. Unfortunately we have no money so I can but dream...though the D40 is quite affordable and might just tide me over until I go back to work again...if I do, that is. Then I can show you some photos instead of all this blah blah blah.

Before I go, a blog I stumbled upon today on my exploration adventures in cyberspace...I am sending the kids clothes as per Pia's appeal to Orange Babies as I am close to Amsterdam...if you are too, then why don't you do the same?

http://blog.piajanebijkerk.com/WordPress/

Night night, txo

No comments: